Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Questions to Angry Girlfriend: Should I Bring Up Marriage?

It's been a while since I recieved a question from a reader, but today I happen to find that someone out there is still reading.

Hey Angry Girlfriend,

I'm 20-years-old, and I've been dating my current boyfriend for about 6 months. He's 25. I know this is gonna sound crazy but I've never felt this way about anyone before. I really love him and I think he could be the one. Neither of us have any kids.

He's joked around in the past about us getting married, but I think he might really want to get married. I feel the same way. Do you think it's a good idea to bring up a serious conversation about marriage to see where we stand?


Thanks for your help in advance,

Tigress

Oh Tigress,

It never occurred to me that I haven't posted a blog with my views about marriage. So here it is:

I am TERRIFIED at the thought of marriage for several reason:

1. I'm not very comfortable expressing my self emotionally. Especially when I feel that it could make me look weak and vulnerable. In other words, standing in front of a large crowd, professing my love, would be very awkward, and uncomfortable to me, and to be quite honest, ain't no way, no how, I'd ever be able to do that for anyone.

2. Having sex with only one person for the rest of my life? Is that even natural? Scary, so lets not think about it.

3. Divorce rate is pretty high. You got a 50/50 chance of even staying together after getting married and if you happen to fall into the 50% who end up divorcing, man is that gonna be a pain in your ass.

4. If it ain't broke, why fix it? Marriage isn't gonna change shit other then your last name, assuming you even want to change it. The person is still gonna be the same, as will you.

Actually, those are all the reasons I have. I guess I'm just very uncomfortable at the idea of marriage and those views may or may not change.

Knowing me, they probably will cause I go through so many phases. But one thing is for certain: If I ever do get married, I'm eloping in Vegas, and Elvis will be performing the ceremony. I'm not being corny and stupid in front of a large crowd.

I totally haven't even answered your question, but to be honest, I can't give you an answer. You have to do what you believe is right for you.

I wouldn't bring up marriage, especially not after only 6 months of dating, but that's just me. I obviously have a lot of issues.

If you feel that you and your boyfriend are both financially stable and have sown all your wild oats and are in the same place in your life, then it could very well, possibly work out for you. I guess you really have nothing to loose by bringing up the conversation.

As for me, I'm not quite there yet.

Good luck with that.

Angry Girlfriend

Questions can be sent to angrygirlfriend@gmail.com or you can fill out the form on the right hand side of this page.

No comments: